PO BOX F | 4238 State Highway 8
New Berlin, NY 13411
P: 607.847.7500
F: 607.847.9194
board of education
about the district
Free and Reduced Meal Applications Now Being Taken
Children need healthy meals to learn. Unadilla Valley Central School District offers healthy
meals every school day. Breakfast costs PK-2 $0 and 3-12 $1; lunch costs PK-5 $2.05
and 6-12 $2.15. Your children may qualify for free meals or for reduced price meals. Reduced
price is $0.25 for breakfast and $0.25 for lunch.

Free and Reduced Meal Application
If you need assistance accessing the application or need a printed copy, please contact the district office.

Applications will also soon be mailed to the families of new students and students who qualified last year. The application form used must be for the 2017-18 school year.

1. Do I need to fill out an application for each child?
No. Complete the application to apply for free or reduced price meals. Use one Free and Reduced Price School
Meals Application for all students in your household. We cannot approve an application that is
not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information. Return the completed application
to: Pam Rowe, 4238 State Hwy 8, New Berlin, NY 13411, 607-847-7500, Ext. 4407.

2. Who can get free meals?
All children in households receiving benefits from SNAP, the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations or TANF, can get free meals regardless of your income. Also, your children can get free meals if your household’s gross
income is within the free limits on the Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines.

3. Can foster children get free meals? Yes, foster children that are under the legal
responsibility of a foster care agency or court, are eligible for free meals. Any foster child in
the household is eligible for free meals regardless of income.

4. Can homeless, runaway, and migrant children get free meals?
Yes, children who meet the definition of homeless, runaway, or migrant qualify for free
meals. If you haven’t been told your children will get free meals, please call or email
Andrew Ruffino, 4238 State Hwy 8, New Berlin, NY 13411, 607-847-7500, Ext. 1120,
aruffino@uvstorm.org to see if they qualify.

5. Who can get reduced price meals? Who can get reduced price meals?
Your children can get low cost meals if your household income is within the reduced price limits on the Federal Eligibility Income Chart, shown on the application.

6. Should I fill out an application if I received a letter this school year saying my children are approved for free meals?
Please read the letter you got carefully and follow the instructions. Call the school at 607-847-7500, Ext. 4407 if you
have questions.

7. My child's application was approved last year. Do I need to fill out another one?
Yes. Your child’s application is only good for that school year and for the first 30 operating days of this school year. You must send in a new application unless the school told you that your child is eligible for the new school year.

8. I get WIC. Can my childe(ren) get free meals?
Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced price meals. Please fill out an application.

9. Will the information I give be checked?
Yes and we may also ask you to send written proof.

10.  If I don't qualify now, may I apply later?
Yes, you may apply at any time during the school year. For example, children with a parent or guardian who becomes unemployed may become eligible for free and reduced price meals if the household income drops below the income limit.

11. What if I disagree with the school’s decision about my application?
You should talk to school officials. You also may ask for a hearing by calling or writing to:
Mike Brown, 4238 State Hwy 8, New Berlin, NY 13411, 607-847-7500, Ext. 1122,

12. May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen?
Yes. You or your child(ren) do not have to be U.S. citizens to qualify for free or reduced price meals.

13. Who should I include as members of my household?
You must include all people living in your household, related or not (such as grandparents, other relatives, or
friends) who share income and expenses. You must include yourself and all children living
with you. If you live with other people who are economically independent (for example, people
who you do not support, who do not share income with you or your children, and who pay
a pro-rated share of expenses), do not include them.

14. What if my income is not always the same?
List the amount that you normally receive. For example, if you normally make $1000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only made $900, put down that you made $1000 per month. If you normally
get overtime, include it, but do not include it if you only work overtime sometimes. If you
have lost a job or had your hours or wages reduced, use your current income.

15. We are in the military, do we include our housing allowance as income?
If you get an off-base housing allowance, it must be included as income. However, if your
housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing
allowance as income.

16. My spouse is deployed to a combat zone. Is the combat pay counted as income?
No, if the combat pay is received in addition to  the basic pay because of the deployment and it wasn’t received before the deployment, combat pay is not counted asincome. Contact your school for more information.

17. My family needs more help. Are there other programs we might apply
To find out how to apply for SNAP or other assistance benefits, contact your local
assistance office or call 1-800-342-3009.
Print This Article