The Unadilla Valley Board of Education approved a $10 million building project proposal earlier this fall that will be put before district voters on Thursday, Dec. 13.
The vote will be held between noon and 8 p.m. in the District Office Lobby.
If approved by voters, the project would be funded largely through state aid, with support from a reserve fund. There is no anticipated impact on the school’s tax levy. The vote is scheduled for December because it can take more than a year for the New York State Education Department to approve building projects after they are passed by voters. In addition, the bidding process can be lengthy. Putting the project out for vote now, when the designs and plans are established according to currrent cost estimates, could also help keep the project under budget and less susceptible to inflationary pressures.
Much of the project involves upgrades that were not covered under a $12.8 million project voters approved in May 2015. Final work on that project concluded in fall 2017.
The proposed project would involve a roof replacement over portions of the building, masonry restoration, HVAC upgrades, paving and sidewalk replacement and athletic field improvements. Many components of the project are related to increasing energy efficiency at the school building and ensuring the school’s facilities remain a modern, comfortable and safe place in which to learn and work.
The bulk of the project will be funded by state aid, along with a distribution of up to $1.8 million from the district’s Capital Reserve Fund. If approved by voters, the project is tentatively slated to begin in spring 2020.
The scope of the project includes:
- Continue replacing heating and ventilation that wasn’t completed in our most recent project (approximately 1/3 of the remaining classrooms, as well as the cafeteria, library, main gym, & auditorium)
- The remaining doors (fire towers) that weren’t completed in our most recent project
- Beginning our roof replacement with the roof over the pool
- Beginning our long term maintenance of the exterior brick and mortar of the building (cleaning and repointing)
- Replacing the south parking lot as it is in the worst shape
- An electronic sign in front of the school
- Continuing to upgrade to LED lighting in more areas of the building and on the football field
- Upgrading the stage and theater type lighting in the auditorium to LED
- Upgrading the auditorium sound system and microphones
- Replacing all drinking fountains, including water bottle fillers in a few key locations
- Repairing and replace the drainage for the football field and the track
- Painting and lining of the track along with some field event relocations (shot put, discus, pole vault, and add steeplechase)
- Re-sod the football field after the drainage is fixed (all natural grass)