logo
PO BOX F | 4238 State Highway 8
New Berlin, NY 13411
P: 607.847.7500
F: 607.847.9194
facebook
twitter
youtube
academics/programs
board of education
about the district
UV voters approve 2014-15 school budget
Unadilla Valley Central School District residents voted 226-75 on Tuesday, May 20, to approve the district’s $21 million budget for the 2014-15 school year.

The budget increases spending by 3.8 percent over 2013-14, and increases the tax levy 1.46 percent.

“We want to thank all Unadilla Valley residents who voted today for coming out and voicing their opinions,” Superintendent Robert Mackey said. “This budget balances two goals: it makes sure student learning is a priority, along with being fiscally responsible for the taxpayers.”

The passed budget retains all staff and current programming and opportunities for students, and adds three teaching positions. It also carries a tax levy increase that is less than the district’s maximum allowable tax levy increase — or tax levy limit — of 2.29 percent.

Because the levy increase was below the limit, Unadilla Valley’s budget required approval from more than 50 percent of the voters to pass. If the district had exceeded the tax levy limit, the budget would have required a supermajority of more than 60 percent of the votes.

Also on the ballot:
During the vote on Tuesday, May 20, residents also elected three Board of Education members, approved a school bus proposition and approved funding for the New Berlin
Library and South New Berlin Free Library


Board of Education: There were four candidates for three seats on the Board of Education, and all members were elected to three-year terms.
Current board member Victoria L. Gregory was re-elected to the board with 216 votes, and Richard Potter received 222 votes and Kimberly Murray received 185 votes to join to board. Haywood Edwards, III, received 169 votes.

School bus proposition: Residents approved the school bus proposition by a vote of 232-70.
The proposition allows the district to enter into a five-year lease for five school buses at an estimated cost of up to $75,000 per year. Four new buses will hold 70 passengers each, and the fifth is a wheelchair bus. State aid covers up to 90 percent of the lease, and the remaining 10 percent will be covered through the debt service reserve and capital reserve. The proposition represented the second step in a five-year plan to turn over the entire fleet.

Print This Article